Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What A Fool Does In The End, The Wise Do In The Beginning.

Dearest Antigone,
Even with my best efforts you are stubborn and rash. I have tried so many times to teach you to respect authority. In this way, I have failed you. You are strong willed and unafraid, but sometimes, it is best to back down. I know how upset you were over the deaths of Oedipus and Polyneices. I was too, they are our brothers and nothing can change that. And yet you had to go make another foolish decision. I know how much it meant to you to bury Polyneices in honor and dignity as we did Oedipus, but it could not be done. Creon's decry stated that none must touch him and the corpse must be left upon the ground, to be fed on by carrion. You were not to defy this, its only path led to death. But even so, I see how your heart was set on this and I should have helped you. Polyneices is an honorable man and deserved as respectable a burial as anyone else. One must not turn on family, even in the face of tyranny. I apologize for my harsh attitude towards you, it is not my nature to defy authority, but although I have failed you, I cannot leave you to endure the consequences all by yourself. I should have been there with you and will accept the blame in a pitiful attempt to make up for my wrongdoings. And remember, no matter what happens in the time to come, I am your sister. I shall always stand by you in everything you do, in life or in death.
With all my love,
Ismene

No comments: