Tuesday, November 25, 2008

And The Verdict Is...

Natalie Mironov
Ms. Peifer
10 IB, Hr 4
26 November 2008
Creon: GUILTY
       Ladies and gentlemen, Creon is guilty, there is no doubt about it. He is guilty on three counts of murder, as well as disrespect for the dead. It was his unjust decree that Polyneices remain unburied that led him to order Antigone's death. This in turn caused the death of Creon's own son, Haimon, and his wife, Eurydice.
       Creon first must be found guilty of forbidding the proper burial of Polyneices and going against the laws of tradition. He declared Polyneices a traitor and stated, "He'll have no burial mound, no funeral rites, and no lament. He'll be left unburied, his body there for birds and dogs to eat, a clear reminder of his shameful fate. That's my decision" (Sophocles 233-237). Antigone fought back saying Creon will be showing "contempt for those laws the gods all hold in honour" (Sophocles 95-96). This  proves how Creon is breaking laws of tradition and acting in an unethical manner.
       Secondly, Creon must be charged with the death of Antigone, his future daughter-in-law. As Antigone bravely defends the honor of her brother, Polyneices, Creon tries to claim it a terrible act, worthy of death. He says, "Since I caught her clearly disobeying, the only culprit in the entire city, I won't perjure myself before the state. No -- I'll kill her" (Sophocles 743-746). This is an outright confession of the awful deed he committed, all for an act as honorable as defending one's own family.
       The death of Antigone triggers a chain reaction with the death of Creon's son, Haimon, and his wife, Eurydice, following. These deaths must all be attributed to Creon's arrogance and belief that he is always right. He is so angered by Haimon questioning his morals that he ordered a guard to "go bring her out -- the hateful creature, so she can die right her, with him present, before her bridegroom's eyes" (Sophocles 868-870). This order by Creon was meant to kill the woman Haimon loves right in front of him, an act no person should ever witness. Creon's unjust ways cause Haimon so much grief and pain that he kills himself, which in turn leads Eurydice to do the same. Creon, upon the realization of his faults says, "I killed you, my son, without intending to, and you, as well, my wife" (Sophocles 1486-1487). This shows Creon directly claiming fault for these atrocities.
       If the jury is still unclear as to their decision, one must be advised to take into account Creon's plea. He stated that, "The guilt for all this is mine -- it can never be removed from me or passed to any other mortal man. I, and I alone... I murdered you" (Sophocles 1463-1466). Creon must be punished at once for his heinous behavior.


Works Cited

Sophocles. "Antigone." Johnstonia. Trans. Ian Johnson. May 2005. 24 November 2008 <http://records.viu.ca/%7Ejohnstoi/Sophocles/Antigone.htm>.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I did the same topic! I like it, I used the same phrase, "chain reaction" too. Haha, get out of my head.