Monday, March 9, 2009

As You Like It LRJ #1

Natalie Mironov


Ms. Peifer


English 10 IB, Hr 4


9 March 2009


As You Like It: Act 1


Orlando is the son of Sir Rowland du Bois and the brother of Oliver. In Act One he is living at home on his father's estate which Oliver inherited following Sir Rowland's death. Orlando doesn't enjoy it, saying Oliver "keeps me rustically at home, or, to speak more properly, stays me here at home unkept" (1.1.6-8). This is saying that Oliver keeps him at home in the country, instead of sending him somewhere to be educated, and doesn't properly care for him. Orlando states that "his horses are bred better, for, besides that they are fair with their feeding, they are taught their manage and, to that end, riders dearly hired" (1.1.10-13). In this way he shows how poorly Oliver takes care of him. This treatmant makes Orlando especially desire the gentleman's education his father wanted him to receive and he sets his sights on getting it. To get what he wants, Orlando demands that Oliver "allow me such exercises as may become a gentleman, or give me the poor allotery my father left me by testament" (1.1.70-73). This is the passion for education and importance Orlando places in it. It shows that he wants it badly enough that he would do anything for it or settle for something less, as long as it shows the promise of being able to become educated.

In this act Orlando also shows off his intelligence and bravery because, while Charles is constantly saying that he's going to win, Orlando responds telling him "you mean to mock me after, you should not have mocked me before" (1.2.202-203). This shows that he knows a person can't know the outcome of something before it has happened and must not be to full of themself. When talking about Charles, he also states that, "He is the general challenger, I come but in as others do, to try with him the strength of my youth" (1.2.163-165). This shows that although Orlando doesn't want to be viewed as a coward, he still wouldn't challenge Charles of his own accord because he knows it would be a foolish thing to do.

Although Orlando and Oliver do not like each other or get a long, and Celia mentions that Duke Frederick doesn't care for him, Orlando appears to have a good relationship with all other characters in the play. Celia says, "By this kind of chase I should hate him, for my father hated his father dearly. Yet I hate not Orlando: (1.3.30-33). This shows that he must be a charismatic, likeable person. The reader also sees his charisma in the relationship between him and Rosalind. After just meeting they both have strong feelings for one another and Orlando says, "What passion hangs these weights upon my tongue? I cannot speak to her, yet she urged conference" (1.1.258-259). This shows how lovestruck Orlando is and how strong the bond is between him and Rosalind.

No comments: